Caerphilly RFC | 1st Team 37 - 21 Newport HSOB RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
11 April 2017 / Team News

Onwards and Upwards

Despite the distraction of the National Bowl Final which will be played at the Principality Stadium against Amman Utd next weekend Caerphilly still have a thriving league campaign which they have to keep an eye on. Facing a resurgent HSOB side was not the easiest of games to play, but the side acquitted themselves well with a fractious bonus point victory maintaining their 3rd place in the league.

It took 25 minutes before there was a score on the board as Connor Kawulock went over, Caerphilly breaking from deep inside their own half. Winning turnover ball in the 22, the centre collected the ball before laying off full back Tom Candy. Screaming down the wing Candy cut inside before releasing Chris Thomas, who made some extra ground before laying off an inch perfect pass to Kawulock who was following up. Matthew Hurley adding the spoils.

The old boys struck back with a shock try just minutes later as wing Emmier James ran across the defence without being picked up to score out wide, captain and outside half Nile Martin adding the difficult conversion.

A 33rd minute penalty from Hurley was followed up 3 minutes later with a converted try. Turning over lineout ball to attack down the right, setting up a ruck before passing into the centre. Hurley found second row, Will Oliver coming at pace to hit a gap in the visiting defence, crossing the line under the sticks and giving Hurley a simple conversion to leave the half time score at 17-7.

The second half produced a try within 3 minutes as Josh Hayward broke free at a ruck. Dancing around the defence the No.8 crossed the line to increase the lead another 5 points. With the fixture congestion in mind, coach Brett Davey rang the changes giving the visitors the opportunity to attack as the home side looked for parity and scored following a series of penalties on the 5mtr line, the forwards providing the driving force second row Rhys Cook the last up from a driving maul over the line, Martin again adding the spoils.

The home side replied immediately from the restart. Winning the ball in the centre before spinning the ball to the left, hooker Gareth Ogden putting an inch perfect pass in the hands of centre Will Worthington, who spun around the defence to cross in the corner.

Despite the rising score line, Newport weren’t finished and mounted a series of attacks, resulting in a 70th minute try for centre Mike Burk, Martin converting, leaving a 6 point difference to set up a tense final 10 minute spell for the home side.

Caerphilly responded well, flanker Chris Moss putting Hurley in space with a perfect pass after drawing the defence. Candy completed the match with a try following a chip ahead from Hurley on the 10mtr line, the full back chasing the ball to collect in the corner after the bounce defeated the defence.

Not resting on their laurels, the side face Llanhilleth in the league on Tuesday, whilst the Second team face Rhydyfelin at Pen y Graig RFC on Wednesday evening in the Mel Davies Cup Final, which will complete the 4th time that the sides have faced each other this season, in a curtain raiser for Sunday’s final. Kick off 7:15pm. Completing the 2ndXV league calendar on Saturday welcoming Nelson to the Constructaquote Stadium (2:30pm)  


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos