Caerphilly RFC | 1st Team 15 - 25 Senghenydd RFC | 1st Team
Joseph Haley
Conversion 1
Penalty 1
Ben Candy
Try 1
Gareth Ogden
Try 1

Match Report
08 September 2018 / Team News

Caerphilly lose Bragging Rights in Local Derby

Caerphilly gifted the Visitors 2 tries in the second half to give bragging rights to neighbors Senghenydd in the latest derby between the 2 sides. A lost lineout 2 minutes into the second half then failing to claim a restart gave Senghenydd the platform to score which they took gleefully to the detriment of the home side.

Things started well for the Cheesemen as they enjoyed territory and possession within the first 10 minutes, but the writing was on the wall as they missed a simple opportunity in front of the posts on the 10 minute mark to the amusement of the visiting fans. Joe Haley stepped up on 23 minutes however to slot the ball between the posts following a promising Caerphilly attack. The home side had already spurned the opportunity to score as breaks by Matthew Nuthall, Darryl Giles-Minett and Jac Jonathan went without reward and once Nathan Gittings had level the scores on 33 minutes the home side were left ruin their missed opportunities.

Gareth Ogden went over for a try on 41 minutes following a number of penalties and lineouts in the visiting 22, the hooker powering his way through a ruck to touch the ball on the line, Haley missing the difficult wide kick to leave the home side 8-3 ahead at the half way point.

The second half saw Caerphilly gift Senghenydd their first try, losing their own lineout on the half way line, then poor tackling allowing centre Callum Williams through the defence to score under the posts, outside half Gittings adding he simple conversion giving the visitors the lead for the first time.

With the home sides discipline faiding, the visitors capitalised and piled on the pressure, No.8 Nathan Thomas crossing on the 53 minute mark as Sengehnydd clawed their way upfield with a series of mindless penalties from the home side.

With a series of substitutions came a slight disruption for both sides, however in the last 10 minutes, with Caerphilly on the attack the side again spurned the opportunity to score as they failed to win an attacking lineout on the 5 mtr line allowing the visitors to clear again. The ball from the resultant lineout was spun wide, however, and full back Ben Candy was on hand to power over out wide, the ball appearing to land short but the full back was adjudged to have eventually kissed the line with the ball following the resultant drive to the delight of the home support. Haley added a difficult wide conversion to set up a tight finish with 3 points between the sides.

Their joy was short lived, however, as the home side failed to control the kick off and handed possession back to the visitors who duly accepted the ball, putting Williams in the clear again to score under the posts, Gittings again adding the spoils for a 15-25 lead. The match finished with Caerphilly again yielding possession following a series of attacks, giving possession away for the visitors to clear their lines, referee John Darcy blowing fir time 1 minute short of the 40 following the 50 minutes played in the first period.

Caerphilly travel to Abercarn next week, kick off 2:30 pm