Caerphilly RFC | 1st Team 36 - 31 Talywain RFC | 1st Team
Joseph Haley
Conversion 4
Penalty 1
Thomas Candy
Try 1
Craig Hudd
Try 3

Match Report
17 October 2017 / Team News

Hatrick Hero Hudd

Caerphilly completed another National League Division 2 East victory at the Constructaquote Stadium last weekend maintaining their push for the top of the league. The Green and whites made it very difficult for themselves on their way to a bonus point victory over a side that has pushed everyone side to the limit in the league, unlucky to find themselves languishing second from bottom in the league.

It was the Talywain side that made the best start and capitalised from a poor start that saw the ball go straight into touch, before the visitors made their way upfield. Loose ball from the 5mtr lineout gave flanker Jamie Parry the opportunity to pounce and score in the corner. Outside half Josh Malson added a penalty on 10 minutes to give the opening quarter to the visitors and a 0-8 lead.

Caerphilly finally got their act together as flanker Tom Ogden went over in the corner following a series of attacks, outside half Joe Haley adding the spoils before the visitors increased their lead with 2 kicks within 2 minutes from Malson extended the visitors lead.

Flanker Craig Hudd drove over with 30 minutes on the clock, gaining the first of his 3 tries, with Haley adding the conversion, whilst Malson extended the half time lead with a penalty on the stroke of half time giving the visitors a 14-17 lead.

Caerphilly started the second half poorly, yielding a try just 5 minutes in, as Malson eventually burst through to finish a period of pressure on the home try line, converting his own score and an increasing lead.

Tom Candy was the next to cross the whitewash as Caerphilly started running the Gwent side ragged, with gaps appearing the Green and Whites started exploiting the space. Hudd burst through, again on at the end of the third quarter for a converted try. His hat trick was complete on 66 minutes getting under the defence in close quarters, Haley again adding the spoils.

Despite numerous injuries, Talywain showed great spirit and kept touch with the Caerphilly side scoring following a length of field run, winger Lee Right crossing in the left corner on 80 minutes, Malson adding the additional 2 points, and clawing back the scoreboard to 33-31, setting up a tense finale.

It was the home side that had the last laugh, however, as Haley slotted another penalty, in front of the posts, before clearing to touch from the restart, when referee Tristan Southway blew the final whistle.

Elsewhere Caerphilly 2nd team, the Diamonds, completed a good win against local rivals Senghenydd away, following a last minute try and conversion, whilst the Youth won a bruising encounter with Newport HSOB 10-5. Next week, the 1stXV travel to Pill Harriers, whilst the 2ndXV travel to Brecon. The Youth team play Aberdare away in the 2nd round of the National Youth Cup. All kick off’s 2:30pm


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos