Caerphilly RFC | 1st Team 38 - 13 Abercarn RFC | 1st Team
Conor Kawulok
Try 2
Thomas Candy
Try 2
Matthew Dean Nuthall
Try 1
Matthew James Hurley
Conversion 4
Try 1
Jeremy Lloyd
1 Penalty
1 Try
Matthew Roberts Britten
1 Try

Match Report
03 October 2017 / Team News

Caerphilly Excercise Carning Measures

Caerphilly got their season back on track at the Constructaquote Stadium last weekend with a resounding victory bonus point over Abercarn. Despite fielding a weakened team the Caerphilly side took their chances well and capitalised to cross the whitewash on 6 occasions.

Early pressure paid off when centre Connor Kawulock crossed the line following a good break down the wing. A penalty helped the home side gain ground and the ball was spun through to the centre for Kawulock to crash through, outside half Matthew Hurley adding the conversion.

The try spurned the visitors on and they enjoyed a period of sustained pressure which eventually resulted in a try for outside half Jeremy Lloyd as he eventually broke through, the captain also adding a penalty just minutes later.

Despite their efforts, the home side failed to break the Abercarn defence until just before half time when another break from defence saw full back Matthew Nuthall break down the left to release Kawulock again to give the home side a 14-8 lead and the half time interval.

Caerphilly turned the screw in the second half. Despite trying on several occasions winger Tom Candy eventually broke free 5 minutes into the second period. Having put themselves under pressure following the restart, the home side found themselves defending their line. Up stepped Candy, putting his boot to a loose ball the winger dribbled his way upfield to cross under the posts. Hurley again adding the spoils and a resounding 21-8 lead.

Candy crossed for his brace of tries just 10 minutes later to stretch the lead further as he collected a kick out wide to dash through for an intuitive score, the home side capitalising on every Abercarn mistake as they were forced to chase the game. The visitors made amends from a catch and drive on 57 minutes following a series of penalties that put them in a commanding field position, Lloyd failing on this occasion to add anything further.

The home side sucked up the pressure in the final quarter and put the result to bed on 70 minutes as they scored 2 tries in succession within the space of 2 minutes. Firstly, came the try of the game as Matthew Nuthall was released with some sleight of hand and some deft passing to put the full back, no playing centre into space to cross the whitewash, followed by captain Hurley crossing from the restart, the home side driving through space in the Abercarn centre, giving the home side a resounding 38-13 victory.

Elsewhere Caerphilly Youth team progressed to the next round of the WRU Youth cup following a hard found 10-5 victory over difficult opposition, Cardiff Met, outscoring them 2 tries to 1. Next weekend sees Caerphilly welcome Division1 East side Croesyceiliog in the 1st round of the WRU National plate competition. Kick off 2:30pm at the Constructaquote Stadium, whilst the Youth travel to local rivals Panallta as they resume their round of league fixtures.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos