Caerphilly RFC | 1st Team 81 - 7 Monmouth RFC | 1st Team
Damian Corns
Try 2
William Andrew Worthington
Try 1
Thomas Axenderrie
Try 1
Thomas Candy
Try 2
Matthew James Hurley
Conversion 7
Try 1
Jac Jonathan
Try 1
Josh Hayward
Try 1
Gareth England
Try 1
Matthew Dean Nuthall
Conversion 1
Try 1
Christopher Huw Thomas
Try 2

Match Report
01 February 2017 / Team News

13 - Unlucky for Mon

Caerphilly steamrollered Monmouth at the Contructaquote Stadium last weekend putting 13 tries past the 5th place side in the National League Division 3 east A in a game where they could easily topped 100 points. In fact, but for an intercepted try in the final 10 minutes, the score line should have been 0 against as the home side ran the visitors ragged setting out their stall in the first couple of minutes.

Breaking from deep man of the match, full back Tom Candy, tormentor of Monmouth as he weaved his way through the visitors all afternoon grabbed the first of his brace of tries. A great solo run, having received the ball just inside his own half and slicing through the shell shocked Monmouth defence like butter in a move that seemed straight out of the Gareth Edwards School of running to score under the posts. Outside half Matthew Hurley adding the simple conversion. Minutes later and winger Will Worthington was unlucky not to go over in the corner as a near perfect pass out of a tackle from flanker Chris Moss was adjudged forward.

Caerphilly didn’t have to wait long however as flanker Tom Axenderry broke through to go over under the posts. Candy grabbed his 2nd on the quarter hour mark as he chased a kick ahead hard, putting pressure on the defender who was wrong footed with the bounce of the ball, Candy controlling well for another try.

Despite dominating play, the home side had to wait a further 12 minutes for the next, this time scrum half Jac Jonathon bursting through to score quickly followed by second row Damien Corns as he grabbed the first of his brace of tries crossing out wide. Hurley was on hand to break through minutes later slicing the defence in 2 to cross for a converted try. Corns was again in the mix as he crossed just before the half time, the referee's whistle signalling dissapontment as he ajdudged a forward pass in the movement leaving the score 36-0 at the interval.  

There was no let-up in the second half as centre Chris Thomas crossed the whitewash within 2 minutes of the restart, selling the dummy to the full back as he headed for a score under the posts. Winger Worthington got justice on 46, whilst Thomas grabbed his 2nd on 50. Corns’ Hatrick came about at the 52minute mark whilst centre Matthew Nuthall chipped in on 57 with a great run from the half way line cutting the Monmouth defence in half.

A harsh first yellow card of the season for Hurley as he drove through a ruck, the referee claiming he failed to use his arms whilst breaking through was quickly followed by a try from no.8 Josh Hayward, giving Nuthall the chance of a conversion in Hurley’s absence. Monmouth finally managed their first points on the board as they intercepted a midfield pass whilst Caerphilly were looking to break from deep as their centre cross the whitewash and converted having faced 76 unanswered points.

Caerphilly had the last say, however, as captain Gareth England crossed on the stroke of full time breaking through the defence, Hurley adding the spoils for a magnificent 81-7 victory, which also gained the home top position in this years Silver Ball competition winning 10 out of 10 allocated games.

Next week sees a vital game in Caerphilly’s campaign as they head to Hartridge their closest league rivals this season for the first meeting of the 2 sides this season. The 2nd team welcome Builth wells, whilst the Youth team also play home against Newport HSOB.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos