Caerphilly RFC | 1st Team 26 - 29 Croesyceiliog RFC | 1st Team
Thomas Candy
Try 1
Lewys Willacott
Try 1
Joseph Haley
Conversion 2
Try 1
Luke Brown
2 Conversion
1 Penalty
Louie Frederick Pengelly
1 Try
Steven Adam Thomas
2 Try

Match Report
11 October 2017 / Team News

Pipped at the Post

Caerphilly came within 5 minutes of performing a cup upset last weekend as they surprised, Croesyceiliog, with a gutsy performance against the division 1 team at the Constructaquote Stadium. Having progressed to the final of the cup last season, the Caerphilly side entered the Bowl this season which comprises of Division 1 and 2 leagues, leaving progression difficult.

The Gwent side started the better of the 2 sides and it appeared that the tie was going to be a one-sided affair as the visitors pushed the home side before finally scoring their opening try on 9 minutes, following a penalty on the half way line.

The home side, despite being on the back foot, continued playing a brand of rugby that has brought them success over the last year, running from deep, behind the visiting defenders. Some good kicking from the boot of centre Matthew Nuthall, from 22 to 22 gave them the confidence to move upfield, their attack breaking down twice en-route to the line, before winger Tom Candy finally broke through, dodging and weaving his way to the line on 23 minutes.

With attack in their minds the home side continued attacking and were awarded a penalty try and conversion on 31 minutes following a deliberate knock on from the visiting wing as they progressed to the line. The winger receiving a yellow card for his misdemeanour, and the home side gaining the lead.

Joe Haley was next to cross, just 2 minutes later, as another break found the home side within site of the line again, the outside half receiving the ball from a break down, offering to pass to the centre’s, but holding back to sell the dummy to the visiting defence, which they fell for hook line and sinker, adding the conversion for good measure and a substantial lead.

The home side weren’t finished, as winger Lewys Willacott went from his own 22, chinking his way through some tackles before chipping the final defender, collecting the ball and falling over the line for an outstanding lead as Haley added the difficult conversion on the half time mark.

Caerphilly, should have closed the game out in the second half, kicking for the corners, however their willingness to run and a poor platform proved their undoing as Croesyceiliog came into their own in the second half, wearing down the home side through platform rugby at set pieces. Converted try’s on 48 and 59 minutes brought the visitors back within 4 points before finally achieving a lead on 74 minutes as a series of scrums on the Caerphilly line collapsed, Ebbw Vale referee Steve Nash finally losing patience, awarding a penalty try.

Despite the setback the home side continued to attack and a controversial decision by Nash was made deep into injury time when the home side had won a scrum inside the visitor’s half only for the referee to give a penalty to the visitors with the scrum moving before insertion of the ball. This gave the home side too much distance to go with the seconds that remained and the tie lost.

Elsewhere, the 2ndXV lost to a hastily arranged friendly against Caerleon, whilst the Youth team had a good 15 points to 9 victory away against local rivals Penallta. Next week see’s Caerphilly welcome Talywain in the National League 2 East, Kick off 2:30pm. The 2ndXV are due to play Bedlinog in the Rhondda and East Glamorgan League, 2:30, whilst the youth welcome Newport HSOB, 2pm kick off in what will be a hard-fought contest at the Constructaquote Stadium.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos