Newport HSOB RFC | 1st Team 10 - 40 Caerphilly RFC | 1st Team
Jac Jonathan
1 Try
Joshua Williams
1 Try
Lewys Willacott
2 Try
Matthew James Hurley
5 Conversion
1 Penalty
1 Try
Gethin Sion Evans
1 Try

Match Report
09 May 2017 / Team News

Caerphilly Secure Promotion with another 6 try Victory

Following on from the successful midweek bonus point victory over Oakdale by 43 points to 10 Caerphilly completed another victory away to Newport HSOB by a similar margin in what could have proven to be a slippery tie against the Gwent side.

Caerphilly needed a solitude point from the fixture to confirm promotion to Division 2 for next season and they completed that feat following the 4th scored try 10 minutes into the second half, a great run from Tom Candy put his opposite wing Lewys Willacott in space out wide to leave the home defence standing and score the important bonus point.

The game started badly for the visitors as they failed to collect the starting kick and found themselves under 10 minutes of pressure as the home side continuously attacked their line. Caerphilly’s defence held well, and the home side were restricted to a solitude penalty lead until the 20th minute. They could have scored with their first break away, but a knock on halted their movement in the 22, a feat they repeated on two other occasion before putting their stamp on the game.

Winning lineout ball on the half way line the ball was passed out to Willacott who made a inroads into the defence, drawing the defenders and putting scrum half Jac Jonathan in space under the posts, Outside half Matthew Hurley converting an easy kick for the first of his 18 point haul.

Youth team player Gethin Evans was next over the line, having stepped in at the final hour after a late withdrawal, the centre was on hand with work to do 10 mtrs from the line to power over and touchdown stretching with the ball over his head having fallen just short of the line, again Hurley adding the simple conversion.

35 minutes was the mark for the next try. Having cleared up to the 5mtr line, a mistake from the home defender gave possession at the throwing to Caerphilly. Rushing up a quickly taken lineout was collected by flanker Josh Williams who was able to go over before the defence had time to take stock of what was happening leaving the half time score at 19-3 in Caerphilly’s favour, but most importantly, 3 tries in the bag.

It took just 5 minutes of the second half for WIllacott to gain promotion for his first try, grabbing his brace just 4 minutes later in identical fashion, however on this occasion prop Stuart Williams was provider with an unexpected out of the back of the hand pass to create the space.

The home side managed a consolation try on 56 minutes as they turned pressure into points as second row Kieran Hunt went over from a series of penalties and scrums in the 22, outside half Niall Martin converting.

It was Caerphilly that had the last say as Hurley grabbed the last try in the final 10 minutes breaking through from close as Evans was hauled down just inches from the line.

Despite securing promotion the Caerphilly side now have the league title in their grasp as they trail Hartridge by 2 points with 2 games in hand, whilst the Newport side have just 1 game remaining. The only requirement of the castletown side being to simply win their remaining fixtures. Caerphilly welcome Chepstow at first to the Constructaquote Stadium on Wednesday 10th May, 7:15pm kick off, before travelling to Usk for the season finale on Saturday 13th May, kick off 2:30pm.  


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos