Fleur de Lys RFC | 1st Team 12 - 28 Caerphilly RFC | 1st Team
Rhys Mark Cleverly
1 Try
Rhys Hutcherson
1 Try
Matthew James Hurley
4 Conversion
2 Try

Match Report
18 October 2016 / Team News

18 Point Hurley Gains 5 Points for Caer

Caerphilly travelled to Fleur des Lys last weekend resuming their Swalec League fixtures and came away with a bonus point win courtesy of 18 points at the hands of outside half Matthew Hurley, scoring 2 try’s and 4 conversions.

It took the visitors just 5 minutes to get their first points as Hurley started and finished a move after ripping the ball in centre field before being on hand to break the line after moving the ball wide and finding space behind the defence to score unopposed, before converting his own try.

Caerphilly kept the pressure and went further ahead. Despite coming close on several occasions prop Rhys Hutcherson crossed the line for his debut try with several defenders in toe. Hurley adding the spoils for a 14 point lead.

As the rain started to fall, the play got scrappy and on 34 minutes after some dogged defence the home side got some reward after a period of attacking play. Collecting loose ball the ball went wide on the half way line. Spotting space behind the defence outside half Lloyd kicked ahead and found left wing Morris chasing. With the ball having crossed the line, Caerphilly appeared to have grounded first before the referee decided that the chasing Morris had been impeded and duly awarded a penalty try, converted by Lloyd to reduce the deficit.

Hurley was on hand again, securing his brace with a walkover try just before the interval, adding the conversion for a 21-12 lead.

The slippery ball was instrumental in the second half as the forward play of the home side became stronger, turning over several scrums and linouts, but the Caerphilly defence held firm as their backs took a control over the game. The visitors spurned several chances to score with poor passing and slack hands, even the dependable Hurley spurning the chance of a hatrick as he only needed to collect a chip ahead to score unopposed, the ball sliding desperately out of his hands. Even the referee disallowed what appeared to be a legal cross over the line.

With both sides having had players in the bin, it was the home side that took best advantage, scoring in the corner from a catch and drive, centre Thomas coming in at an angle down the blindside for an unconverted try on 65 minutes, setting up a tense finish.

Having brought on their subs it was replacement hooker Rhys Cleverly that finally broke the stalemate 10 minutes from the end, driving over with second row Will Oliver in toe to cross the line. Caerphilly held on to take full points from the local derby.

Caerphilly welcome Oakdale at The Constructaquote Stadium next weekend as 3rd plays 2nd in the table in what should be a mouth watering tie, kick off 2:30pm. The 2ndXV travel to Abercwmboi, whilst the Youth welcome Rumney in their Welsh Youth Cup 2nd round tie, kick off 2:00pm.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos